Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lionel Kennard Riding 8-11-2011

My Grandpa passed away on August 11, 2011 at his home in Delta.  He had been taken to the hospital on Friday the 5th and was diagnosed with pneumonia.  He had a lot of fluid on his lungs, his heart was working overtime to try and pump his blood, he couldn't breathe out his CO2, and his dialysis was not working very well.  The doctors could not perform any surgery due to his poor health.  He decided that he had fought a good fight for the last year and a half and he was ready to see his wife.  He was put on hospice on August 10th and was brought back home.  Me and Andrew and my sisters drove up to Delta to see him.  It was good to be able to see him one more time and to tell him how much I loved him.  The doctors said that with the CO2 that was left in his system that it would basically just poison his blood and that he would go into a coma and just stop breathing. On the day he passed away my Aunts help give him a hair cut and shave him.  They also feed him some ice cream. About 5:45pm he looked towards the ceiling and took one last deep breath and passed away.  It was all very bittersweet but joyous too.  My Grandpa had been very lonely since my Grandma had passed away in December of 2009. The funeral was very good.  I loved to hear stories about my Grandpa when he was younger.  He was quite a joker. I always remember that we would play with his mustache and he would pretend to try and bite our fingers.  All of us grandchildren loved that. My grandpa would also let us play with his hair that he permed and so we could get it looking good. We would puff it up and put hair accessories in it.  He was always a good sport. One thing that I will always remember is when we would get hurt or something he would tell us that it will feel better when it quits hurting! He was also a Yankee fan so Andrew loved to talk to him about that. I am so glad that they had that type of relationship! I love him dearly and will miss him so much.



I love him and my grandma so much and especially since they gave me the best mom ever!!! 


He would always have a smile on his face! He made all 55 grandchildren and 52 great grandchildren feel loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment